The colorful Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails® roadway "trailblazer" signs are currently being installed in segments along various portions of each trail. The following is a partial listing of completed segments along each of three different trails. Check back frequently for further construction progress updates.
Click on each brochure
Completed “trailblazer” sign portions of the Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail®:
---City of LaFayette: Around John B. Gordon Hall (interpretive marker #3, “Chattooga Academy - John B. Gordon Hall”) in the City of LaFayette. The site was Confederate General Braxton Bragg’s headquarters immediately prior to the September 1863 Battle of Chickamauga, and of intense fighting in June 1864. Less than one mile in length.
---City of Chickamauga: Around and near Lee & Gordon’s Mills (interpretive marker site #5) in the City of Chickamauga. There were extensive military activities here during both 1863 and 1864. Approximately one mile.
---McFarland Gap area: West from Chickamauga National Military Park, along and near McFarland Gap Road, through McFarland Gap (interpretive marker site #6) and back to the park. This gap is the route most of the Federal army took during its retreat from Chickamauga on September 20, 1863. Approximately 2 miles.
---Chickamauga National Military Park to the City of Ringgold: East along Reeds Bridge Road (a.k.a. Boynton Road) from Chickamauga National Military Park into the City of Ringgold. This historic route was used by both armies at various times. Approximately 6 miles.
---City of Tunnel Hill: South on Lee Chapel Road, through the City of Tunnel Hill, leading to/from the Tunnel Hill Heritage Center (interpretive marker #8, “Tunnel Hill”) and its famous railroad tunnel. Approximately 2 miles.
---City of Dalton to Snake Creek Gap: From the Hamilton House (interpretive marker site #10) on Chattanooga Avenue in north Dalton, through downtown Dalton and its Confederate Cemetery (interpretive marker site #11), over Rocky Face Ridge at Dug Gap Battle Park (interpretive marker site #12), through Mill Creek Valley and into Snake Creek Gap in southeast Walker County. Approximately 10 miles.
---Paulding County: From the Battle of New Hope “ Pocket Park” (interpretive marker site #19) through New Hope Cemetery (interpretive marker site #20), along Dallas-Acworth Highway and other roads past Pickett’s Mill Battlefield State Historic Site, then via Due West Road to the Cobb County line. Approximately 4 miles.
---City of Marietta: From the Marietta Museum of History (the location of interpretive marker #21, “Kennesaw House”), proceed west on Mill Street to southbound Marietta Parkway. Proceed on Marietta Parkway to its intersection with Powder Springs Street, continuing straight (i.e. south) to Cemetery Street. Turn left onto Cemetery Street, then left again onto West Atlanta Street before proceeding to “Marietta Confederate Cemetery” (interpretive marker #22). Upon leaving the cemetery re-trace your route via West Atlanta Street and Cemetery Street to Powder Springs Street. Turn right, heading north via Powder Springs Street and Marietta Parkway to Whitlock Avenue. A left turn onto Whitlock Avenue leads west through a portion of Kennesaw National Battlefield Park to John Ward Road. A left turn onto John Ward Road, and another left onto Cheatham Hill Road leads to historic Kolb Farm on Powder Springs Road. Turn right onto Powder Springs Road to Macland Road and beyond. Approximately 8 miles.
---Smyrna to Roswell, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody and Brookhaven: From I-75 northeast of the City of Smyrna proceed east on Windy Hill Road to Powers Ferry Road. Turn left onto Powers Ferry Road then right onto Terrell Mill Road proceeding generally north until reaching Paper Mill Road. A right turn onto Paper Mill Road leads past the historic Marietta Paper Company mill ruins along Sope Creek in the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area. Continue east Paper Mill Road until turning left onto Johnson Ferry Road followed by a right turn onto Lower Roswell Road. A roundabout right turn onto Willeo Road enters the City of Roswell. Follow Willeo Road to Marietta Highway (aka GA Hwy. 120), where a right turn leads to South Atlanta Street (GA Hwy. 9) and another right turn. Cross the Chattahoochee River on South Atlanta Street very near “Shallow Ford,” where Union Major General James B. McPherson’s 20,000+ man “Army of the Tennessee” crossed the river. Once across this southbound route enters the City of Sandy Springs and changes names to Roswell Road. About three miles later the trail route turns left onto Northridge Road, crosses GA. Hwy. 400, then turns right heading south again on Roberts Drive into the City of Dunwoody. Roberts Drive merges into Chamblee-Dunwoody Road before the route turns right onto Mount Vernon Highway followed by a quick left turn onto Ashford-Dunwoody Road. The trail route crosses I-285 and continues through the City of Brookhaven on Ashford-Dunwoody Road to Peachtree Road, before turning right heading southwest toward the center of Buckhead (in Atlanta). Much of this entire route was followed by Union Major General James B. McPherson’s “Army of the Tennessee” heading toward the City of Decatur in mid-July 1864. Approximately 42 miles.
Completed “trailblazer” sign portions of the March to the Sea Heritage Trail®:
The “Left Wing” route:
---City of Social Circle: Along and near Hightower Trail through the City of Social Circle (interpretive marker #L7, a.k.a. “Social Circle”) and southern Walton County. March route of Sherman’s 20th Corps. Approximately 4 miles.
---Rutledge to Madison: Through western Morgan County, along a dirt portion of the historic Hightower Trail and Dixie Highway from the City of Rutledge to the City of Madison. Approximately 9 miles.
---City of Milledgeville: Leading to and from both the Old Governor’s Mansion (interpretive marker #L14, “The Old Governor’s Mansion”) and the old State Capitol Building (interpretive marker #L16, “State House Square”) in Milledgeville. Approximately one mile.
---City of Sandersville: From the Old City Cemetery (a new interpretive marker site) in Sandersville, and around the Washington County Courthouse (interpretive marker #L17, “Washington County Courthouse”). Less than one mile.
---City of Louisville: Along T.E. Buchanan Road and Broad Street west of town near the Ogeechee River (interpretive marker #L20, a.k.a. “Crossing the Ogeechee River”) of Sherman’s “Left Wing” to the center of downtown Louisville (near interpretive marker #L21, “The Sacking of Louisville”). Approximately one mile.
---From Waynesboro to Big Buckhead Church, and toward Jacksonboro: Follow the running gunfight route of Kilpatrick's Federal and Wheeler's Confederate cavalry south from Waynesboro along Herndon Road and Porter Carswell Road to Big Buckhead Church Road, then to the church itself (interpretive marker #L26, a.k.a. “Battle of Buck Head Church”) where the largest cavalry fight during the March to the Sea took place. From there this route moves east through the community of Perkins and into Screven County, following Kilpatrick's cavalry and Sherman’s 14th Corps of infantry toward the virtual ghost town of Jacksonboro. Approximately 30 miles.
---Screven/Effingham County line to the Rincon Bypass: From the Screven County line south through Effingham County via the Old Augusta Road and other roads, across Ebenezer Creek (interpretive marker site #L28) to the new Rincon Bypass. Approximately 24 miles.
The "Right Wing" route:
---From Old Clinton to Griswoldville Battlefield State Historic Site: In July 1864, Greene Settlement Road northwest of Gray was used by the Federal cavalry of General George Stoneman and the Confederate cavalry of General Alfred Iverson, Jr. Four months later General William T. Sherman's cavalry plus his 15th Corps of infantry again followed Greene Settlement Road, heading south to the historic town of Clinton. From Clinton the 15th Corps continued south to Griswoldville, where a portion of it met and defeated a mixture of Confederate units during the largest battle along their March to the Sea. Approximately 15 miles.
---On the route of the Old Savannah Road: Beginning on Kindon Road, south of the Town of Bartow near U.S. Hwys. 221/319 in Jefferson County, and continuing generally southeast on Dukes Road and Greens Old Mill Road to U.S. Hwy. 1, these roads trace the march route of General Sherman with his 17th Corps along the historic “Old Savannah Road.” Approximately 4 miles.
---On the route of the Old Savannah Road: On Wadley Coleman Lake Road in northern Emanuel County to the Old Savannah Road, and on to interpretive marker #R18, a.k.a. “Pine Barren Crossroads,” these roads continue to follow the route Sherman traveled while accompanying his 17th Corps. Approximately 5 miles.
---The Old Midville Road to Millen: In late 1864 the road between Midville and Millen was dirt, as it still is today. Turning north from GA Hwy. 17 onto Birdsville Road leads to the Old Midville Road, which was used by General Sherman and his 17th Corps. It proceeds east toward the vital railroad hub of Millen. Approximately 7 miles.
---The old road to Oliver: After destroying railroad and other facilities in Millen, General Sherman and his 17th Corps turned southeast toward Oliver and Savannah. Turning south from today's GA Hwy. 67 onto Paramore Hill Road east of downtown Millen, they continued their destruction of the railroad toward Savannah (Note: a portion of this route is still dirt, as it was in 1864). Approximately 7 miles.
---Oliver to Guyton: South from Little Ogeechee Baptist Church (interpretive marker #R20. A.k.a. “Little Ogeechee Church”) in the City of Oliver via the Old Louisville Road to Guyton (interpretive marker site #R21). Approximately 12 miles.
Completed “trailblazer” sign portions of the Jefferson Davis Heritage Trail℠:
---Savannah River to the City of Washington: In early May 1865 Confederate President Jefferson Davis and his escort crossed the Savannah River from South Carolina into Georgia using a pontoon bridge. There has never been a permanent bridge at this location, known as Hester’s Ferry, either in 1865 or today. The route of the Jefferson Davis Heritage Trail through Georgia begins at TWO different bridges crossing the Savannah River at nearly equal distances to the immediate north and south of Hester’s Ferry. The “northern crossing” driving route enters Georgia on westbound GA Hwy. 72, then turns south on GA Hwy. 79 until reaching the historic community of Chennault at the intersection of GA Hwys. 79 & 44 with Graball Road (traveling a distance of approximately 12 miles). The “southern crossing” driving route enters Georgia on westbound U.S. Hwy. 378, turn northwest on Bethany Church Road, then north on GA Hwy. 79 until also reaching the Chennault community at its intersection with GA Hwy. 44 and Graball Road (traveling a distance of approximately 15 miles). From Chennault a single historic driving route proceeds northwest via Graball Road to the site of Hester’s Ferry, then returns southwest to Chennault and continues southwest on GA Hwy. 44 to the outskirts of the historic City of Washington (traveling approximately 25 miles from Chennault to & from Hester’s Ferry then to Washington GA).
---City of Washington: Through the city’s square (interpretive marker site #5) and past the Wilkes County Courthouse. This site is where Jefferson Davis and other Confederate leaders held their last formal meeting. Less than one mile.
---Washington to Raytown: From the City of Washington south toward the Taliaferro County community of Raytown (interpretive marker site #6), an overnight camp site for Mrs. Davis. Approximately 6 miles.
---Ogeechee Shoals to Warthen: From the southern Warren County community of Shoals (a.k.a. Ogeechee Shoals, interpretive marker site #9) through a portion of southeastern Hancock County, then past Hamburg State Park in Washington County to the community of Warthen. Davis and his traveling party crossed the Ogeechee River at Shoals on May 5, 1865, then continued south. Less than six months previously both Federal and Confederate cavalry raced through this area during Sherman’s March to the Sea. Approximately 9 miles.