Jefferson Davis Heritage Trail
Old Dan Tucker
Daniel Tucker’s Grave - This classic American folk song may have evolved from slaves singing about a part-time minister who lived near Elberton, Georgia. Published in 1843 by Dan Emmett (the author of “Dixie”), the song was extremely popular around both Northern and Southern campfires.
GPS: 34.1144, -82.6728
Granite Veterans Monument
Hester’s Ferry - Near dawn on May 3, 1865 Confederate President Jefferson Davis, members of his cabinet and staff, plus ~2,500 Confederate cavalrymen crossed the Savannah River here into Georgia. Over the next ten days the final chapter of the Confederacy was written, including of its treasury.
GPS: 33.9359, -82.5292
Chenault (a.k.a. Chennault) - After entering Georgia the Confederate soldiers escorting President Jefferson Davis were near rebellion. Rather than see the treasury they were protecting fall into Federal hands they wanted to receive past due compensation for their service. The legend of “lost gold” began.
GPS: 33.9079, -82.6021
Washington Square - Before noon on May 3, 1865 a weary Confederate President Jefferson Davis and a small escort rode into Washington. After resting overnight Davis met with several officials and dispersed part of the Confederate treasury. He then continued riding south with a smaller group.
GPS: 33.7379, -82.7390
Washington County Courthouse
Washington County Courthouse - On May 6, 1865, as Jefferson Davis and his escort were riding south through Washington County, they stopped long enough for two of his government’s remaining officials to conduct the last act of the Confederate treasury.
GPS: 32.9834, -82.8114
Tennille Station - Union Major General William T. Sherman and part of his army moved through Tennille on November 27, 1864 during their “March to the Sea.” Less than six months later, on May 6, 1865, Confederate President Jefferson Davis and his escort hurriedly rode south through the same area.
GPS: 32.9360, -82.8123
Ball's Ferry/East Bank
Oconee River Crossing
Laurens County Courthouse
Parkerson Church/Overnight Camp
Old Abbeville Road
Wilcox County Courthouse
Women's Relief Corps
The 4th Michigan Closes In
May 11, 1865 Campsite
Route of the Fallen President
The Lanier House
Hotel Lanier - Opening in 1850, the Lanier House was Macon’s premiere hotel during the war. Upon Confederate President Jefferson Davis’s arrival in Macon under guard on May 13, 1865, following his capture three days earlier near Irwinville, he met here with Union Major General James H. Wilson.
GPS: 32.8375, -83.6271
The Bear’s Den
The Baber-Lamar-Cobb House - Constructed in 1829 for Dr. Ambrose Baber, it was given a nickname by its secessionist 2nd owner John B. Lamar. It was the home of Confederate Major General Howell Cobb during the war, and used shortly afterward by U.S. Major General John T. Croxton.
GPS: 32.8391, -83.6264
Cowles-Bond House - Known today as the Woodruff House, this impressive Greek Revival mansion overlooks downtown Macon. It was used by Union Major General James H. Wilson as his headquarters for more than two months after his cavalry captured Macon in April 1865.
GPS: 32.8419, -83.6341
Subscribe to Our
"Civil War Heritage Trails"
We Will Never Share Your Information!
Interpretive Marker Sites
Like This "GA Jefferson Davis" Page
Northeast Georgia - Coming Soon
Trailblazer and “red star” signs at the
Wilkes County Courthouse
Trailblazer sign at Hamburg State Outdoor Recreation Area
Interpretive marker at the
Washington County Courthouse in Sandersville
Evergreen Cemetery in Fitzgerald
Jefferson Davis Memorial Historic Site
Enthusiastic reader of the
interpretive marker in Macon